During our RABS session last week we suffered a power cut, and being fairly blind anyway I was happy to end the evening.
Participants made of sterner stuff however (i.e. Graham and Liz) had other ideas, and proceeded to go through their outline of 2 Corinthians 2 and 3 by candlelight, helped only when the power partially returned and sight was improved by the Marcus Hill streetlights coming back on.
I tried to keep up in the twilight and take notes of the main points of their study, using the headings from the 'Chapter Summary Method:'
- Reality of Christ defeats the rigidity of the law
- Church discipline
- The triumph of the New Covenant
- Paul's love for church
- Defending decision to change plans
- Boldness because of new covenant
- Confidence in Christ
- Letter vs spirit of the law
3: Chief People:
- Moses/representative of Old Covenant believers
- Holy Spirit
4: Choice Verse:
- 2v14 triumph in Christ
- 3v17 spirit of the lord is freedom
- 3v5-6 letter kills spirit gives life
5: Crucial word(s):
- Forgiveness and reaffirmation
- New vs old/series of contrasts
- Confidence and Boldness
- v. 14 triumph procession?
Are we Faithful Soldiers or Christ's defeated conquests (Piper)?